Sailing has always been an important part of Dona’s life. The businesswoman and owner of several hotels and sports complexes began competing in late 2006, racing Decision 35 catamarans on the Lake Geneva circuit with an all-female crew. In 2010, Dona became the first woman to win the prestigious Bol d’Or Mirabaud. A year later, she and Yann Guichard decided to create a new team for their future endeavours on the water. Spindrift racing was born, a team that in many ways resembles Dona and Yann themselves. The duo have developed and managed the team since day 1, making decisions, choosing what direction to take and establishing a future vision together.
Dona Bertarelli is an exacting, determined businesswoman, who is actively involved in several foundations, including the Bertarelli Foundation for marine conservation. She began offshore multihull sailing in 2013 aboard Spindrift 2. During that first year, she listened, learned, gradually gained confidence and developed her skills, as well as setting her first crewed record, in the Atlantic Ocean. “During the Discovery Route (Cadiz-San Salvador), I was surprised that I didn’t want it to end,” explains Dona. The sailor has continued to increase her experience, and has now spent more than 40 days at sea during Spindrift Racing’s record attempt of the Jules Verne Trophy.
After 47 days 10 hours 59 minutes at sea, Dona Bertarelli became the fastest woman to sail around the world.
Dona Bertarelli’s career :
- 2nd of the Bol d'Or Mirabaud (Ladycat powered by Spindrift racing)
- "Female Sailor of the Year 2016" at the SUI Sailing Awards
- Winner of the Transat Quebec Saint-Malo and holder of a new race record in 6 days, 1 hour, 17 minutes and 41 seconds
- Spindrift’s record attempt of the Jules Verne Trophy (trimaran 131’ Spindrift 2)
- 22 November to 8th January: Course completed in 47 days 10 hours 59 minutes and 02 seconds with an average speed of 25,35 knots (third fastest time in history)
- Third quickest time in the history of the trophy making Dona Bertarelli the fastest woman to sail around the world
- Holder of the Ushant-Equator record in 4 days 21 hours 45 minutes
- Winner of the Rolex Fastnet Race (trimaran 131’ Spindrift 2)
- 3rd in D35 Trophy, D35 Ladycat powered by Spindrift racing
- 3rd of the Bol d’Or Mirabaud 2015
- "Female Sailor of the Year 2014" at the SUI Sailing Awards
- Winner of the Bol d’Or Mirabaud 2014 on board Ladycat powered by Spindrift racing
- Holder of the Discovery Route record in 6 days, 14 hours, 29 minutes and 21 seconds on board 131’ trimaran, Spindrift 2
- Winner of Fastnet Race on board 131’ trimaran, Spindrift 2
- 3rd of the Vulcain Trophy 2012 on board D35 Ladycat powered by Spindrift racing
- Winner of the Bol d’Or Mirabaud 2010 on board D35 Ladycat
- 2nd in Open de Rolle, D35 Ladycat
- first event on D35 Ladycat