- Maxi Spindrift 2
Yann Guichard and Spindrift 2 continue to march towards Guadeloupe in moderate, unstable trade winds, averaging speeds of 15 knots. The squalls are less frequent than last night and instability is low to moderate.
This morning, Banque Populaire VII began her final day at sea and is expected to pass the Basse-Terre buoy, the final course marker, during the night of Sunday to Monday. There are still some hurdles to overcome, including the fishing nets off Basse-Terre, but before then two final gybes will be necessary to reach Guadeloupe.Yann Guichard, 227 nautical miles behind the leader, will try to capitalise on these gybes to increase his lead over his rivals. He will be aiming to build a comfortable buffer to protect his second position before reaching Tête à l’Anglais on Monday, expected to arrive sometime in the morning according to initial estimates.
In the meantime, tropical storms are likely to give the exhausted but focused Spindrift 2 skipper another sleepless night as he sails towards the finish line.
Ranking of the Ultime class at 1pm UTC:
1. Loïck Peyron / Banque Populaire VII, 273,8 nm to the finish
2. Yann Guichard / Spindrift 2, DTL 234,24 nm
3. Sébastien Josse / Edmond de Rothschild, DTL 396,54 nm
4. Lionel Lemonchois / Prince de Bretagne, DTL 420,35 nm
5. Sidney Gavignet / Musandam - Oman Sail, DTL 476,79 nm
6. Francis Joyon / Idec Sport, DTL 657,46 nm
7. Yann Eliès / Paprec Recyclage, DTL 821,34 nm